Atmore Community Hospital History
The first hospital in Atmore was established in 1915 by Dr. N.E. Sellers. Atmore General Hospital began in 1929 and over the years has gone through several name changes. The hospital was operated as a corporation from 1929 to 1941. In 1941, Dr. Lisenby who held more than 80% of the stock, decided to run it as a private hospital. In 1954 he sold the facility, then known as Greenlawn Hospital to the Escambia County Hospital Board.
The current hospital, built in 1966, is known as it is today as Atmore Community Hospital. The hospital serves the Atmore and surrounding communities. Governed by the Escambia County Health Care Authority Board of Directors, Atmore Community Hospital is an acute care hospital that has been a part of the Atmore, Alabama, community for over fifty years.
The hospital’s facilities include an intensive care unit; a 24-hour emergency room; general medical and surgical services. In addition, ACH services include Atmore Community Home Care, ACH Med Plus, ACH Family Physicians, ACH Primary Care, ACH Complete Care and ACH Therapy Services. ACH also offers programs and support to area citizens through health education.